The second roaster to be profiled in this series is John (AKA "Perk Me Up Home Roaster") who lives in Alberta. Take it away John!
How long have you been home roasting?
I started home roasting in December 2016
What made you want to start roasting at home?
A few things…
- More control over what beans taste like/how they are roasted/prepared
- Freshness-tired of buying stale beans/coffee
- Cost-I am saving money and getting high quality beans. It’s about half the cost to home roast versus buying high quality roasted beans
- I have a good friend who started home roasting awhile before me, and after smelling and tasting the coffee he roasted I had to try!
- It’s fun to experiment and share with others
- I think I’m turning into/maybe already am - a “coffee snob”. J
How do you roast your coffee beans…on the stove, hot air popper, small home roasting appliance? Have you tried different methods of roasting and if so, which one was most successful for you?
I have a home roasting appliance-a Behmor 1600 Plus. This is the first and only thing I have roasted beans at home with. So far it is working very well, and I am very pleased with the consistency of the roast and the ease with which I can roast my own coffee. I have not tried other methods of roasting…but who knows, maybe I will try some “old school” and roast some over the BBQ in the summer-just to drive my neighbours crazy with the smell of fresh roasted beans (LOL).
Have you been successful at it?
I will not lie…first couple of batches I tried were “under-roasted”, and there was this one batch that had a “distinctive smokey flavour” (burned), but by and large I have been very successful. I am finding that I am experimenting more with the roaster-to see what I like best.
What are your favourite beans and do you like a light, medium or dark roast?
So far my favourite beans are Brazilian (regular) and Colombian (Decaf). I have found I really do not like blond/light roasts, so tend to go for the medium to dark roasts in everything I am doing (regular coffee and, of course, espresso is dark roast). Have roasted some beans for a few friends and none have reported gastrointestinal issues yet!
I have tried to make a of couple blends of different beans and a couple of those have tasted pretty good…now I just need to remember what I combined…haha
Behmor 1600 Plus
“Trifecta”…quality counts: grinder-roaster-espresso machine-picture attached